The Queensland Resources Council (QRC) has confirmed that it will continue to work with the Chief Health Officer (CHO), QRC members and the State Government to provide feedback on the Premier’s proposal to use mining camps as quarantine facilities for overseas travellers, to be discussed at National Cabinet next Friday.
QRC Chief Executive, Ian Macfarlane, said the QRC and its coal, metal and gas members have worked tirelessly and successfully to protect industry workers, their families and mining communities from COVID-19 over the past 11 months.
“Our diligence has meant the resources sector has been able to continue to operate and earn for Queensland,” Mr Macfarlane said.
“This diligence and vigilance and the industry’s willingness to go above and beyond Queensland Health requirements was recognised by the CHO at a meeting earlier this week with the Premier and QRC.”
Mr Macfarlane commented that the decision on the use of isolated mining camps for quarantined travellers will be made by the Premier and the CHO.
“The resources industry will co-operate and assist where requested,” he said.
“Keeping our workers and the Queensland community safe, particularly in regional areas, will continue to be our priority.”
“We will work closely with the government to provide input into any decisions that impact on our workforce and the communities in which we operate,” Mr Macfarlane added.